CASTLE OF PYLOS
Castle It was the Ottomans who begun to construct the castle of Pylos (Niokastro) in 1573, shortly after their defeat at the Sea Battle of Lepanto (1571). The reason of its construction was to control the southern entrance to the Navarino Bay, since the northern access were unusable due to sedimentations. It was named “Niokastro” (new castle), in contrast to the previous castle of Koryfassio known as Paliokastro or Palio Navarino (old castle), which overlooked the northern entrance and the old harbour.
Since then, Niokastro shared the fate of the rest of the castles in the area and was connected to historical events that marked Greece. It remained under Turkish rule until 1686, when it was surrendered to the Venetians. In 1715 Turks regained control of Niokastro along with Koroni and Palionavarino. In 1816 Ibrahim Pasha became the ruler of the castle, which he occupied until 1828, when it was liberated by French General Maison. After the liberation of Greece (during the 2nd World War) the castle was, for many years, used as prison, until finally being handed over to the Archaeological Service. Hence, the monument bears signs of quite a few damages, repairs, refits and additions.