CASTLE OF KORONI
Castle The castle was built by the Venetians in the late 13th century, where it once was a Byzantine fortress.
The castle occupies almost the entire cape of Akritas. Its main features have been survived and proves the impressive size and beautiful architectural design.
During the Turkish rule, the fortress of Koroni was considered the best fortified of Messinia and one of the strongest in the Peloponnese. As the castles of Pylos and Methoni, Koroni’s castle granted by the Turks in the French general Maison in 1828.